1569 – First written record of cheesemaking in the Maasi castle region, Saaremaa
Since 1843, cheesemaking in Saaremaa has been continuously recorded.
1870–1910 – There were nearly 50 manor dairies in Saaremaa, many of which produced cheese.
Since 1875, famous Swiss cheesemakers Schlupp, Imhof and String operated in Saaremaa.
1887–1930 – Cheese manufacturer Albert Schlupp was awarded nearly a couple dozen gold and silver medals from both local fairs and fairs held in St. Petersburg, Moscow, Berlin, Milan, etc.
1890 – Maasi Manor in Saaremaa obtained the first cream separator.
1895 – First photographs were taken of churning butter in Saaremaa.
1899 – Prestigious awards were won for cheese at the Baltic fair in Riga.
1912–1913 – First dairy cooperatives in Saaremaa were established in Valjala and Püha.
Of the 25 dairy cooperatives established since 1923, ten were remaining in 1940.
In the 1930s, Pöide Dairy Association was one of the best in Estonia for turnover and production of butter for export.
1932 – The Silver Jug, the prize awarded to producers of butter for export by the Saare County Government, was often held by Pöide, Muhu and Tõlluste dairies.
1950 – Saaremaa dairy associations were nationalised and butter factories were established.
1955 – Cheese rinsing machine manufactured at Pöide Dairy was on show at Estonia in Tallinn. Production of Meleshen and Ruber butters commenced in Saaremaa for the first time. The latter has developed into the contemporary production of sour cream butter.
1958 – Saaremaa Dairy Products Manufacturing Company (Saaremaa Piimatoodete Kombinaat) was established on the basis of butter factories.
1963 – Estonian Model Cheese Factory (Eesti Näidisjuustutööstus) was opened in Valjala, which introduced cheese vats and mobile shelves for maturing cheese.
1965 – The central factory of the Manufacturing Company was opened in Kuressaare.